At first what is Public Health:
''The science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health and efficiency through organized community effort for the sanitation of the environment, the control of communicable infections, the education of the individual in personal hygiene, the organization of medical and nursing services for early diagnosis and preventative treatment of disease and the development of social machinery to ensure for every individual a standard of living adequate for maintainance of health, so organizing these benefits as to enable every citizen to realize his birth right of health and longivity” (CEA Winslow, 1920).
Public health approaches envisions improving the lifestyles of people. Therefore it is known as an important discipline of science. Public health has been growing up with different modest and application approaches that can contribute in insuring the health of people. The major school of thought of public health science is to promote the health of people through preventive and promotive strategies.
Bachelor of Public Health (BPH): it is a multidisciplinary, an undergraduate degree that prepares students to pursue careers in the field public, private, or non-profit sector in areas such as environmental health, health administration, epidemiology, nutrition, biostatistics, or health policy and planning which are acting in the field of health.This is a practical and applicable education model needs to be introduced to improve in the health status of community people.
Public Health Graduates are those Human Resources who can completely work for prevention of disease and promotion of disease control strategies and helps to Achieving the target of national health development.
HRH for public health are able to Initiation of community health development programmes, monitoring, supervision and evaluation of health promotive activities in community, disease preventive activities, health care and rehabilitative programmes etc through the existing community efforts.
Objectives of BPH:
Primary objective of this programme is to produce a Human Resource for health [HRH] who can act in the improvement of public’s health through the approaches of preventing disease and promotion of health through the existing community efforts.
- Develop the knowledge and skills in applied health sciences. Laboratory works on applied health sciences and their application.
- To develop skills in measurement, design, analysis and evaluation for appliced public health sciences research and programme management.
- Introduce and enhance the knowledge and practical skills in public health, primary health, health systems development, health economics, nutrition and environmental health.
- Train and development the skills in designing, analyzing and evaluation applied public health science research and management.
- Enhance the knowledge and practical skills in dealing with human resources development and existing issues in public health management.
- Develop the research and scientific writing skills through the introduction or term paper and thesis.
- Ensure the skillful, practical and leading human resources through the community diagnosis and comprehensive field practices.
- Develop the extra curriculum competencies through training, seminar and exposure etc.
- BPH bears a responsibility of providing leadership to the community and to the middle grassroots level health workers. This will help to deliver health care services to the people as designed by Government or any other organization.
- BPH graduates can choose following area to build the career:
- Public health officer via public service commission [LOKSEWA AYOG].
- Private or non-profit sector in areas such as environmental health, health administration, epidemiology, nutrition, biostatistics, or health policy and planning etc.
- NGO’s, INGO’s, and other various international, national organizations.
- University education & research & various colleges and schools as lectur or teacher in the PCL level such as HEALTH ASSISTANT, Diploma in pharmacy, Staff Nurse, CMA, ANM, and other various healths related subjects.
- Health organization
- Health center
- Health researchs etc.